Chief Operations Officer – Washoe County School District
SALARY AND BENEFITS INFORMATION:
• $132,909 annually
• 20 days of vacation, 15 days of sick leave, and 11 holidays
• Medical, dental, vision and life insurance benefits are provided (for a single employee selecting the PPO plan, these benefits are at no cost to the employee)
• WCSD contributes 23.75% of annual salary into the Nevada Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS)
• There is no state income tax in Nevada and public employees do not pay social security.
ABOUT THE WASHOE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
“Every Child, by Name and Face, to Graduation”
In September 2010, Washoe County School District (WCSD) embarked on a new journey, outlined in “Envision WCSD 2015: Investing in Our Future”, a new strategic plan focused on education reform, strategic planning, taking action, and delivering results, to ensure that all of our students graduate college and highly-skilled ready for the 21st century. Since then, we have increased graduate rates, increased test scores, and reduced the achievement gap.
Under the leadership of Broad Superintendents Academy Alumnus Pedro Martinez, WCSD currently serves approximately 63,000 students at 63 elementary schools, a special education school, 15 middle schools, and 12 comprehensive high schools.
ABOUT THE OPERATIONS OFFICE
“The Experts Behind the Scenes”
We are a well-oiled machine. We seamlessly support our students, staff and schools so they can focus on teaching and learning. We ensure that the heat is on in the winter (Facilities Management), roofs stay leak-free (Capital Projects), buses are on time (Transportation), lunch is served (Nutrition Services), textbooks are in classrooms (Warehouse and Mail Center), and posters and worksheets are available (Printing). We are a group of experienced and motivated individuals who work together to ensure that each school day runs smoothly so the focus stays on educating WCSD children. If we are doing our job, you won’t even know we are there!
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Under direction of the Superintendent, the Chief Operations Officer (COO) assists the Superintendent in achieving district objectives and carrying out policies established by the Board of Trustees and provides overall planning, direction, control, and evaluation of district activities with regard to WCSD’s non-instructional and service departments.
Additionally, the COO will:
• Serve as a member of the Superintendent’s Leadership Team contributing knowledge and expertise to WCSD’s decision-making processes
• Provide leadership and training for all Operations Office administrators, both through personal example and through formal training methods
• Administer and monitor effective budget tracking and reporting systems
• Act as a key spokesperson and liaison for construction, renovation, maintenance and operational activities
• Act as the chief liaison between the Operations Office and schools to ensure the missions of the various departments are being carried out in an appropriate manner and time frame
• Serve on the negotiations team in collective bargaining with one or more employee groups.
• Master’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university in business administration, business management, building construction, public administration or other area related to responsibilities
• At least ten (10) years of experience in leading business functions in government or public education of which at least five (5) must have been in a senior executive supervisor position.
• Manage multiple reporting relationships, multi-task projects and responsibilities and successfully direct operations to deliver results and projects in a timely manner
• Excellent planning, analytical, interpersonal and communication (written and oral) skills
• Strong computer skills with the ability to learn new software programs and drive both system and systemic changes
• Attention to detail, organized and possess a desire for continuous improvement, including challenging the status quo, thinking outside-the-box and developing innovative and creative solutions
• Possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid Nevada driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to WCSD
In addition to the requirements above, an ideal candidate will also:
• Possess experience and knowledge of strategic and capital project planning, including construction and renovation of school structures
• Possess knowledge of functions and operations of a large public school district
• Possess knowledge of issues and effective business practices in the areas transportation, capital projects, facilities management, warehousing, nutrition services, and logistics and applicable Federal and State legislation and regulations
• Be able to work effectively with state and local officials on behalf of the interests of WCSD
• Possess knowledge (or ability to acquire knowledge) of major trends and policy issues facing public education nationally and in Nevada
• Demonstrate effective human resources issues and practices, supervisory principles and practices, and sound leadership skills
• Facilitate and promote collaborative decision making, but make effective, informed and data-driven independent decisions when a situation requires
• Analyze complex situations and synthesize diverse information
• Promote consensus in groups of individuals with diverse interests and values
• Provide guidance and direction to staff, including timely and constructive feedback, development opportunities, and recognition of successes
• Organize and coordinate work load to work effectively with all parties
• Facilitate conflict resolution; as well as establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of others both within and outside the district.
THIS JOB SPECIFICATION SHOULD NOT BE CONSTRUED TO IMPLY THAT THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE THE EXCLUSIVE STANDARDS OF THE POSITION.
Office of Human Resources
Washoe County School District
425 East Ninth Street
P O Box 30425
Reno, NV 89520-3425
Fax (775) 348-0389