Job Title: Executive Meeting Manager
Company: John Q. Hammons Hotels
Reports To: Director of Sales
Job Description Date: August 2012
Job Purpose: To sell and service group and catering events that qualify based upon selective sell targets of sleeping
rooms and meeting space, not to exceed 75 rooms during peak night or 150 people per event.
1. Receive and respond to all customer inquiries within four business hours. Negotiate and capture all profitable
Rooms & Catering business in accordance with selective selling guidelines.
2. Prepare and send requested collateral materials to designated clients or guests. Common collateral materials might
include catering menus, brochures, meeting room layout & seating capacity diagrams, area maps & brochures.
3. Prepare and send requested proposals and contracts to designated potential clients.
4. Prospect for new contract business using a wide variety of methods including phone calls, outside sales calls,
attending community functions, internet prospecting, supplier partnerships, trade journals, etc.
5. With each customer, coordinate all details pertaining to "Rooming Lists" to include room types, shared rooms, room
locations, handicap-accessible rooms, room billing, etc.
6. Continuously educate Event Planners on hotel procedures, such as: meal guarantees, set-up styles, payment terms,
available hotel services, etc.
7. Coordinate all details to appear on each "Banquet Event Order." Details to coordinate may include meeting room
set-up specifications, banquet food & beverage items, audio/visual equipment & billing details.
8. On a regular basis, distribute final Rooming Lists and Banquet Event Orders to all applicable service staff, including
the Banquet Service Staff, the Food Preparation Staff and the Rooms Division.
9. Conduct site inspections. Entertain qualified potential clients in accordance with JQH policies.
10. In a timely, accurate and consistent manner, document and report all sales activities as required.
11. Maintain an active list of top accounts to ensure continuous relationship building activities. Top accounts should be
contacted, visited, entertained, etc. frequently.
12. Perform other services and duties as requested by the General Manager. May be called on to host functions and
participate in, or conduct sales blitzes, travel and work extended hours to achieve departmental goals.
13. Other duties as assigned.
1. Exhibit computer skills to include word processing, spreadsheet, and familiarity with brand specific property
2. Exercise excellent communication, presentation, organization, time management and listening skills.
3. Use analytical skills for measuring business potential and value to the hotel.
Job Qualifications: Describe the minimum qualifications needed to complete the job responsibilities.
Education Bachelors Degree or University in Hospitality, Business, Marketing, or related field
Experience Minimum 1 -2 years experience in Convention Services, Banquet, Hotel Sales, Marketing, ; OR
equivalent education and experience.
Management Activities: Check all that apply
Interview, select and train associates
Set and adjust associates’ rates of pay and hours of work
Direct the work of associates
Appraise associates’ productivity and efficiency for purpose of recommending promotions or other changes in status
Handle associate complaints
Plan the work
Determine the techniques to be used
Apportion the work among associates
While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the requirements of the job, management reserves the right to add or remove
duties from particular jobs when business need dictates.
Determine types of materials, supplies, machinery, equipment/tools used or merchandise to be bought, stocked & sold
Control the flow and distribution of materials or merchandise and supplies
Provide for the safety and security of the employees or the property
Plan and control the budget
Monitor or implement legal compliance measures
Customarily and regularly direct the work of at least 2 or more full-time associates or their equivalent (1 full-time
associate at 40 and 2 half-time associates at 20 hours each, are equivalent to 2 full-time associates).
Authority to hire or fire other associates, or makes suggestions and recommendations as to the hiring, firing ,
advancement, promotion or any other change of status of other associates are given particular weight.
Discretion & Independent Judgment: Answer all questions and provide multiple specific examples.
Question Answer (If yes, give multiple examples)
Does this position have authority to formulate,
affect, interpret, or implement management
policies or operating practices?
Does this position have authority to commit the
employer in matters that have significant
Yes, Negotiate and capture all profitable
Rooms & Catering business in accordance with selective selling
Does this position have authority to waive or
deviate from established policies and
procedures without prior approval?
Does this position have authority to negotiate
and bind the company on significant matters?
Yes, Negotiate and capture all profitable Rooms & Catering business in
accordance with selective selling guidelines.
Is this position involved in planning long or
short-term business objectives?
Yes, Maintain an active list of top accounts to ensure continuous
relationship building activities
Does this position represent the company in
handling complaints, arbitrating disputes or
Does this position have authority to make an
independent choice, free from immediate
direction or supervision or make decisions or
recommendations that may occasionally be
reviewed, revised or reversed?
Physical Requirements: Indicate requirements that are
representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the
essential duties of this job.
Working Conditions: Indicate the environmental aspects of the
Ability to speak and hear. Close and distance vision.
Frequent sitting with some walking and standing.
Frequently lifts/carries up to 10 lbs. Continual use of
manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of
bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills.
Continually works in normal office conditions and in close
proximity to others.
Additional physical & visual requirements (check all that apply) Additional working conditions (check all that apply)
Identify and distinguish colors X Outdoor weather conditions
Stand for long periods of time Extreme cold (non-weather)
X Walk extended distances Extreme heat (non-weather)
Lift/carry 6-25 lbs. X Wet or humid conditions
Lift/carry 26-50 lbs. Near moving or mechanical parts
Lift/carry over 50 lbs. On high precarious places
Reach hands and arms in any direction With fumes or airborne particles
Kneel and/or stoop repeatedly Near toxic or caustic chemicals
X Able to work overtime and irregular hours Near risk of electrical shock
Near loud noises