ABOUT THE WASHOE COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
“Every Child, by Name and Face, to Graduation”
In September 2010, Washoe County School District (WCSD) embarked on a new journey, outlined in “Envision WCSD 2015: Investing in Our Future”, a new strategic plan focused on education reform, strategic planning, taking action, and delivering results, to ensure that all of our students graduate college and highly-skilled ready for the 21st century. Since then, we have increased graduate rates, increased test scores, and reduced the achievement gap.
Under the leadership of Broad Superintendents Academy Alumnus Pedro Martinez, WCSD currently serves approximately 63,000 students at 63 elementary schools, a special education school, 15 middle schools, and 12 comprehensive high schools.
ABOUT THE BUSINESS AND FINANCIAL SERVICES OFFICE
“Funding Our Children’s Aspirations”
We get the job done. Organized into three departments – Budget, Accounting and Purchasing - we are a group of experienced and motivated individuals who work together to ensure that funding is available for the education of WCSD children and resources are maximized. Through fiscally responsible practices and award-winning purchasing and accounting procedures, we make sure WCSD’s future is financially stable and secure.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Under direction of the Purchasing Supervisor, the Assistant Purchasing Supervisor:
• Assists in planning, coordinating and overseeing the functions of the purchasing office, including screening purchase orders, reviewing contracts, and recommending award
• Assists in acting as a technical advisor, office manager, and senior level buyer
• Assists in supervising bid activities and resolving business problems.
• Assists in supervising staff as directed by the Purchasing Supervisor, works directly with the Capital Projects team to help develop purchase orders, contracts, and bid documents. Works closely with project managers and planners to develop and incorporate detailed scopes of work. Oversee all aspects of construction related solicitations and contracting.
• Prepares performance and management related reports, department metrics and develops a “best practice” list of KPIs• Develops and manages a contract database that includes district-wide contracts with full implementation into the SunGuard Business Plus technology system
• Equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in purchasing, business administration, public administration or closely related field. Possession of a valid Certified Purchasing Manager (CPM) certificate, Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM) certificate, or Certified Professional Public Buyer (CPPB) certificate
• Four (4) years of technical experience involving the procurement of a wide variety of construction-related equipment, services and supplies
• Be knowledgeable about:
• Federal, State, and local laws, regulations and procedures applicable to governmental purchasing such as Public Works (NRS 338), the Local Governmental Purchasing Act (NRS 332) and Uniform Commercial Code
• Common governmental procurement practices including ethics and standards
• Contract development and negotiations and competitive bidding
• Sources of supply, trade and brand names, publications and source materials in the field of purchasing, especially in the area of construction
• Marketing practices and pricing methods and differentials
• Basic accounting and budgetary controls
• Computerized purchase order systems
• Warehousing and inventory control
• Current market conditions, pricing and sources of supply and vendors
• Principles of supervision
How to Apply: Interested parties should complete an online application, including resume and cover letter, at http://www.washoe.k12.nv.us/employment (under “Administrative”, select “All Applicants”) by March 1, 2013 at 11:00 pm PT.