Accountant III - NV Energy
About the JobEnergize Your Career at NV Energy!
NV Energy is the premier provider of energy for Nevada and has served citizens in northern Nevada for over 150 years, and southern Nevada since 1906. We are committed to creating an atmosphere where our employees are treated with dignity and respect and have the opportunity to offer their ideas and viewpoints. Our employees set us apart and allow us to meet complex challenges to continue to achieve success. Now’s your chance to join our team
Prepares standard and specialized financial reports (e.g., balance sheets, income statements) according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) standards. Performs financial analyses for reporting to management and outside agencies. Reports provide business information in support of management decision-making or in compliance with regulatory agency or other reporting requirements. Recommends methods and procedures to improve accounting processes. Works independently; receives minimal guidance and relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish functions of the job. Acts as a resource to less experienced accounting staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares and reviews journal entries, account reconciliations, variance reports, work orders, financial statements, and presents financial analyses and results to management.
- Coordinates with Financial Systems Support to facilitate monthly close activities for general ledger, work orders and all other accounting related data processing.
- Ensures that internal controls are in compliance with established company policies, procedures and regulations including Sarbanes-Oxley as relating to accounting and financial systems to produce accurate financial information.
- Recommends methods and procedures to improve accounting processes.
- Responds to internal and external data requests.
- Coordinates with other departments and affiliates to assure transactions are properly recorded.
- Participates in special projects within accounting department or other departments.
- Researches and provides solutions to advanced accounting issues.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Education, Skills, and EnvironmentEducation and Work Experience
Bachelor’s degree and 4 to 6 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience. Accounting certification such as CPA or CMA is a plus.Specialized Knowledge and Skills
Demonstrates technical knowledge of accounting theory and GAAP; Utility and Regulatory accounting as defined by Public Utilities Commission of Nevada (PUCN) and FERC regulations. Attention to detail. Advanced problem solving, research, analytical, communications, decision making, and organizational skills. Proven ability to develop and maintain effective relationships and administratively coordinate efforts with various departments on assigned functions. Fixed Asset Accounting, Project Cost Accounting, or Regulatory Accounting experience is a plus.Equipment and Applications
PCs, financial spreadsheets, word processing, database and accounting software.Work Environment and Physical Demands
General office environment. High workload levels may be experienced, especially during closing periods. No special physical demands required.
Flexible Spending Accounts
401(k) with a Company match provision
and more, visit our Corporate website for detailed information
NV Energy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.