Man's strange behavior cast him as only suspect in wife's murder

(Jason Doiy)
(Jason Doiy)
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 12/07/2013 9:04 am
PROVO, Utah- At a hearing to determine probable cause on Friday, witnesses testified that while emergency responders tried to save the life of an Orem woman, her husband threatened them and later offered strange theories as to how his wife might have been shot in their home that night.

Conrad Mark Truman, 31, has been charged with first-degree felony murder and second-degree obstruction of justice in the September 2012 death of Heidy Truman, 26.

Orem police Cpl. William Crook testified that while paramedics were trying to resuscitate Heidy, who was lying in a pool of her own blood after being shot in the head, Truman made threatening remarks toward him.

"He threatened to kill me and everyone I know if I didn't save Heidy." Crook told Judge Samuel McVey, who will decide if Truman will stand trial.

Orem Fire Battalion Chief Russ Sneddon testified that Truman's behavior was unlike any he had ever experienced.

"I remember him saying, 'I will f*****g kill you,'" Sneddon said.

While officers tried to determine what had happened, Truman's account of events were incoherent. He told police he and his wife had been drinking and watching television. He said they'd had an argument and she had gone to take a shower. But Truman could not explain what took place between the time she had left the room, and when she collapsed after being shot.

"His conversation didn't make sense. He didn't make full statements," Crook said. 

Crook said there were two guns within Truman's reach: one on the floor between his feet and one sitting on the kitchen table. Crook slid the gun on the floor out of reach with his foot, but while they were talking, Truman grabbed the gun on the table.

"He picked up the gun and yelled at it," Crook said. "Then he threw the gun."

At the station later that night, Truman told Crook there was an 80 percent chance that his wife had committed suicide and a 20 percent chance someone from outside the home had shot her.

Charging documents state that Truman said his wife was shot through a window from outside the bathroom while he was watching T.V. But Crook told the judge he didn't see any bullet holes or a blood trail that would indicate she was even shot in the bathroom. Police found blood in several rooms of the house, and on Truman as well.

Preliminary testimony will resume Wednesday.


Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune


What's On

All content © Copyright 2013 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.