Amended returns

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 8:29 am
If you discover that you failed to report some income, you claimed deductions or credits you were not entitled to, you neglected to claim deductions or claims you are entitled to, or if you should have claimed a different filing status, you can file for an amended return. The form you use to amend a return is the 1040X (10-40-X). Also, you cannot file an amended tax return electronically; it must be mailed directly to the Internal Revenue Service Center serving your area. If you owe additional taxes, then you must pay the extra taxes, even if you expect a return. The IRS will not reduce the size of your refund check by a corresponding amount. In addition, you must file your claim for a credit or refund within three years after the date you filed your original return or within two years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. These notes are meant to be a general guide to federal income taxes. If you need specific advice, please consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.