Charitable deductions

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 8:29 am
According to the IRS, there are five types of organizations that are qualified to receive deductible contributions. The first is a community chest, corporation, fund, or foundation. The second type includes war veterans' organizations; and the third includes domestic fraternal societies. The fourth includes certain nonprofit cemetery companies or corporations; and fifth, a political subdivision of a State or U.S. possession, or an Indian tribal government or any of its subdivisions that perform specific government functions. If you're not sure of the tax status, you can check the government's list of tax-exempt organizations in IRS Publication 78. You can deduct donations to religious, charitable, educational, and other philanthropic organizations that have been approved by the IRS. Donations to federal, state, and local governmental bodies are also deductible. An example of a charitable contribution is if you bought a ticket to a fundraiser sponsored by a charity, your deductible contribution is the difference between what you paid and the regular ticket price. For each contribution of $250 or more, you must obtain a written statement from the charity acknowledging the contribution amount and stating whether or not the charity provided you with goods or services in return for your contribution. These tips are provided to give you general information about your taxes. If you have specific questions, please consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.