Getting an automatic extension

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 8:29 am
If you are unable to file your taxes by April 15, it's possible to receive an automatic six-month extension for your return. However, you must file Form 4868 (48-68) by April 15, and also pay any estimated taxes that you owe. If you're living and working outside the United States or Puerto Rico on April 15, you have an automatic two-month extension, until June 15th. You're also not required to file Form 4868 unless you want the full six months. If you're merely on vacation, you must file Form 4868 to receive an extension and pay your estimated taxes by April 15th. Individuals serving in combat zone are automatically given a 180-day extension. In addition to the 180 days, the deadline is also extended by the number of days you had left to take action with the IRS when you entered the combat zone. These notes are meant to be a general guide to federal income taxes. If you need specific advice, please consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.