Home sale exclusions

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 8:29 am
If you sold your home, $250,000 can be excluded from federal income taxes. If filing a joint return, the amount is $500,000, in most cases. In order to take this type of deduction, you must have owned the home and used it as your main home for at least two years out of the five years prior to selling or exchanging it. If you do not quality for the exclusion, you may be able to exclude the gain if you sold or exchanged it due employment relocation, health or other unforeseen circumstances. You should be aware that once you take the exclusion, you can't ever claim it again, even if you don't claim the full amount. Additionally, there are new credits affecting the basis of a home for nonbusiness energy property credit or the residential energy efficient property credit. For more information about Residental Energy Credits, see Form 5695. These tips are provided to give you general information about your taxes. If you have specific questions, please consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.