Insurance settlements

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 8:29 am
Income received from an insurance settlement generally isn't subject to tax unless you paid to have the policy transferred to you. The interest paid when dividends are left with an insurance company, however, is reported to the taxpayer as interest and is taxable. Also, if you pay the entire cost of an accident or health plan, you don't need to include any amounts you receive from the plan as income on your tax return. Unfortunately, if your plan reimbursed you for medical expenses you deducted in an earlier year, you may be required to include some, or all, of the reimbursement amount as income on your next return. For more information on reporting income from insurance settlements, consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.