Moving expense deductions

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 8:29 am
You can deduct moving expenses when the distance between your new job and your former home is at least 50 miles more than the distance between your old job and your former home. Also, you must work full-time for at least 39 weeks in the 12 months following your move. If you qualify, the deductible expenses include direct costs like moving vans and airline tickets, and indirect expenses like portions of the real estate commission you pay for selling your old home. If you use your car to move to your new home, you can either deduct the actual expenses like gas and oil or take the standard mileage rate deduction of 18 cents per mile. You won't have to include as income any moving expenses your employer pays or reimburses. Record keeping is important, and you must report all payments and reimbursements made by your new employer. If you're self-employed, different regulations apply. Moving expenses should be filed on Form 3903. These tips are provided to give you general information about your taxes. If you have specific questions, please consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.