Other deductions

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 8:29 am
What the IRS calls miscellaneous deductions includes work uniforms, job-hunting trips, employment agency fees you pay yourself, union dues, and job-related magazine subscriptions. A few of the others include home offices for employees, business travel you pay yourself, and other job-related expenses. Keep in mind that you must keep accurate records to verify your deductions. This includes receipts, canceled checks, financial account statements, and any other relevant documents. There are many rules and regulations that govern whether the IRS will or will not allow these deductions. However, one thing most of them have in common is that you may not deduct anything at all unless the amounts in question are larger than 2 percent of your adjusted gross income, and then, the deduction only applies to expenses greater than that so-called '2-percent floor'. These tips are provided to give you general information about your taxes. If you have specific questions, please consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.