Tax for the self-employed

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 1/10/2008 8:29 am
If you're self-employed, most likely, you do not have taxes automatically withheld for Social Security and Medicare. Therefore, you're required to pay a self-employment tax to support these two programs. You may be subject this tax if you're a sole proprietor of a business, a professional who owns your own practice, or an independent contractor. Also, if you worked for a church or a qualified church organization, other than as a minister or member of a religious order, and received income, you're subject to the self-employment tax. You're allowed to deduct one-half of your self-employment tax in figuring your adjusted gross income. You can compute your self-employment tax using Schedule SE (S-E). For more information on self-employment tax, please consult a tax advisor or call the toll-free number for Federal Tax Information and Assistance at 1-800-829-1040.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.