Code violation corrections

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 7:47 am
As you know, any major electrical work must meet local code, in order to pass inspection. This applies for both new construction, and re-wiring of an older home. Inspection is required before the walls are closed up. If the proper wiring methods and materials have not been used, the work will be in violation of code, and must be corrected. The inspector will leave a card, sometimes called a 'red tag,' stating why the job did not pass. Your electrician must then make the necessary changes, and arrange a second inspection. Remember, you cannot live in the home or sell it, until the electrical work is approved. If your plans involve moving your meter or service entrance panel, you'll also need to notify the local utility company; they may have certain regulations as to where these items must be located. Finally, you should realize that 'code' is simply the minimum safety standards that the work must meet. If you have extremely high-usage devices, you may want to exceed code requirements. To find out more about code violations, talk to your electrician, and the city building inspector's office.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.