Wiring - rural locations

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 7:47 am
When setting up wiring at a rural location, your first step will be to acquire power from the transformer, which is the barrel-shaped device on top of the utility pole. If there are no power lines nearby, you'll have to ask the electric company to run such a line. Depending on how far the lines must travel, you may have to pay extra to have this done. Next, wiring will need to be run from the pole, to your meter and service entrance. If the wiring is strung overhead, it's called a service drop. If wiring is run underground, it's a service lateral. This is usually done by the utility company. Once service enters your structure, the installation is your responsibility, and must follow local code. In addition, there are special considerations for a farm or ranch: if large tractors or other equipment is used, you'll need to make sure overhead lines are high enough for clearance, or that underground cables are sufficiently deep to withstand traffic. You'll also want to keep all wiring is well beyond reach of livestock. For more information on installing power at a rural location, start by contacting the nearest utility company.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.