How do I find my biological parents?

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 3:35 pm
The Adoption Information Act has established a process by which a birth parent or parents and the adoptive child may obtain information about one another. The information can only be obtained if there has been consent and a waiver of confidentiality signed by both parties. To give consent, the State Department of Social Services or the licensed adoption agency handling the adoption must be contacted. If both the adoptive child and the birth parents have given their consent, the Department of Social Services or adoption agency can disclose the identity of the other. Even if a birth parent does not waive confidentiality at the time of the adoption, that birth parent may change his or her mind and need only give notice to the State Department of Social Services or the adoption agency. This notice must be put in writing and sent certified, with a return receipt requested. If mutual consent has not been given, in some cases an adopted person may request the court to allow the inspection of records. To do so, the adoptive person must file a Petition for Inspection of Adoption Records. This petition must very clearly show the necessity and compelling reasons for the court to allow the inspection of the records, such as a need for family medical history. The decision to allow inspection rests entirely with the court. Even then, the court may limit the extent of the inspection and may still keep the name and addresses of the natural parent or parents confidential. For more information on adoption, contact a qualified attorney.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.