Can I get permission to work?

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 3:36 pm
Students will not be approved for an F-1 or M-1 visa unless the students can prove that they can financially provide for themselves and their education without needing to work. If you're an F-1 or M-1 student, you are limited in the type of work you can legally do. You may not work if you're an M-1 student unless you are participating in practical training, and have the approval of the I-N-S. F-1 students, however, can not only work in practical training but may also have off-campus part-time employment after 9 months of F-1 status. You are not permitted to work the first 9 months of your stay as a foreign student. To apply for employment authorization, both F-1 and M-1 students need to provide recommendations from school officials on form I-2-O-1-D (eye-two-oh-one-d) as well as form I-7-65, the application for employment authorization. The I-7-65 form gives additional information, in addition to fee amounts and places to submit the forms. While your forms are being processed, you're not allowed to accept any off-campus or practical training employment until you receive authorization. If you're found working before you've been approved, you could be deported.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.