Fiancé visas

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 3:36 pm
Fiancé (fee-YON-say) visas are available to foreign nationals coming to the United States to marry a U.S. citizen. The marriage, however, must take place within 90 days of entry. Should the parties not marry within the 90 days, the foreign national must return to his or her home country. The petition must be made by the U-S citizen at the INS (I-N-S) office closest to the residence of the citizen. The petitioner may be interviewed in order to show that the marriage sought is legitimate and not solely for the purpose of giving the foreign national entry into the United States. The law requires the parties to have met in person within two years prior to the date of filing the petition. There are possible exceptions to this general rule at the discretion of the United States Attorney General. Once the application is approved, it's sent by INS to the United States Consulate in the country of the foreign national's residence. The approved petition is valid for four months, during which time the foreign fiancé may travel to the United States. The petition can also be extended in four-year intervals. The foreign Consulate must determine the applicant's eligibility before the foreign fiancé is given the visa and allowed to travel to the United States. The foreign national must meet all the eligibility requirements of regular visa applicants. For more information on fiancé visas, consult an immigration attorney in your area.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.