School transfers for F-1 students

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 3:36 pm
If you're currently an F-1 student enrolled in a full course of study at a school approved by Immigration and Naturalization Services, or I-N-S, you may transfer to another school or continue in the same program or major at a different school. As long as you maintain your F-1 status, you may transfer to another school without permission from I-N-S by following a notification procedure. First, you must let your current school know that you plan to transfer. Then you need to obtain form I-20-A-B from the school you want to transfer to. This certificate must be submitted to the appropriate school official within 15 days of the first day you'll be attending class. You have to be a full-time student at the old school to be eligible to transfer. If you're attending classes full-time without F-1 status, you need to apply to the district office of I-N-S to obtain F-1 status. For this, fill out form I-5-39, the 'Application to Extend Time of Temporary Stay,' as well as Form I-20-A-B from the new school. You'll be charged a fee for the processing of your reinstatement application. If you're denied F-1 reinstatement, I-N-S will inform you of the date by which you must leave the U-S. If you're not a full-time student, and you try to transfer schools without first receiving permission from I-N-S, you could be deported.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.