School transfers for M-1 students

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 3:36 pm
If you're an M-1 student who wishes to receive permission to change schools, you'll need to complete form I-5-39, also called an 'Application to Extend Time of Temporary Stay', as well as form I-20-M-N, a Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status for Vocational Students.' This form must be endorsed by an official from the school you want to transfer to. You'll also need your I-94--Arrival Departure Record--and those of your spouse and children. Finally, don't forget your I-20-I-D. All of these forms will need to be submitted to the local Immigration and Naturalization Service office of the school you last attended. You may begin attending your new school 60 days after you've filed for transfer. If your application is approved by I-N-S, it will be dated back to the date you filed the application, and you'll be granted an extension of stay for the amount of time you need to complete your course of study plus 30 days. The time, however, can't be for more than a year. You may be able to transfer to a new school within the first six months of your present course of study if you're an M-1 student with valid status; have been studying full-time at an I-N-S--authorized school; plan to study full-time at the new school; and are able to afford the new school. After completing six months of study as an M-1 student, you are not allowed to change schools unless you can't stay at your current school for reasons beyond your control. An attorney specialized in immigration law can give you more information on transferring schools as an M-1 student.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.