Dealing with an insurance adjuster

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 3:36 pm
If you're involved in an automobile or motorcycle accident, immediately inform your insurance company, who will let you know what paperwork is required. Most companies ask for a 'proof of loss' form and other documentary proof to justify your claim. An insurance adjuster, who works for your insurance company and has the job of assessing how much is to be paid to you in the event of a claim, will examine all documents relating to your claim and decide on payment. It's important to keep copies of all your expenditures with a bearing on your claim, such as medical bills, auto repair bills, and copies of police reports. In some cases, the adjuster will call you for further information about the accident. The information the adjuster is most interested in is the actual cause of the accident, any injuries to people covered by your insurance policy, the exact damage to the vehicle, and any liability issues. Police reports aren't legally conclusive, and you can be held liable or partially liable for causing an accident even if this isn't clearly stated in the police report. Be brief and factual in your answers to the adjuster's questions. Following an investigation, the insurance adjuster generally proposes a settlement. If you don't agree with the adjuster's proposal, you can hire your own appraiser to estimate the value of your claim and appeal the adjuster's decision.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.