What is the time limit for filing a complaint

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 3:36 pm
If you feel a landlord has violated any federal laws in dealing with your tenancy or application for tenancy, you have the right to file a complaint with the Secretary of Housing And Urban Development up to one year after the alleged violation occurred. Complaints regarding issues related to Civil Rights Laws and the Fair Housing Act are controlled by this federal agency. These laws prohibit selecting tenants based on race, nationality, religion, race, sex and mental disability. Most other complaints should be filed at a state level. Each state has its own laws which govern issues such as rent control and property management and they each have their own time limit for filing complaints. For information about your state's laws, contact a department such as the Housing Commission or Rent Control Board. These agencies will be able to inform you what the time limit for complaints is in your particular state.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.