What should I do if injured on the job?

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 4/13/2007 3:37 pm
If you are injured on the job, you will need to notify your boss and personnel department immediately and seek medical help. Rules for selecting a physician vary from state to state. You may be required to see a physician selected by your employer or you may be able to choose your own physician. On the other hand, you may be required to see the employer-chosen physician at first, then change to your own doctor for longer- term care. Once you have obtained medical attention, you will need to fill out a claim form detailing when, where, and how the accident happened; the extent of the injuries; and the costs for your treatment. If the claim is accepted, you will often receive scheduled benefit payments. If your claim is rejected or partially denied, you can appeal the decision. If the appeal board rules against you, you may appeal to a state district court judge. While filing a claim, you have the right to be represented by an attorney whose fees are often set by law as a percentage of the benefits you receive. You may wish to hire an attorney if your claim is rejected; if your claim is accepted but you do not believe you are receiving the correct amount; or if you are fired, suspended, or otherwise disciplined for filing a claim. Consult a workers'compensation attorney for more information.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.