RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- It was a terrifying moment at the Discovery Museum in down town Reno on Wednesday.
A chemical flash at the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum injured 13 people, many of them children. But luckily, none of the injuries were serious. Officials said of the 13 people hurt, only one child still remains at Renown Regional Medical Center for observation.
It was a routine demonstration at the museum gone horribly wrong. "We had a demonstration that the museum routinely does," said Reno Fire Chief Michael Hernandez. "It simulates a smoke tornado. The demonstration malfunctioned, which caused a flash."
Hernandez said the chemical flash hurt 13 people, sending eight children and one adult to the hospital with minor injuries. The other four victims were treated on scene. Renown Regional Medical Center officals report the injured were treated for minor burns and minor smoke inhalation.
"It was an unfortunate event, but we responded timely, quickly, and effectively," said Hernandez.
Hernandez also said HAZMAT crews also arrived on scene to make sure the smoke generated after the demonstration was not toxic.
Reno Fire Department investigators are now working with museum staff to determine why the demonstration malfunctioned. "They've done it without any issues in the past," said Hernandez. "But until we know exactly the chemicals that were used and the order and the process that was used, we're going to withhold that information."
Officials said the child that still remains at Renown will likely be released on Thursday.
The Nevada Discovery Museum building did not get any damage and will re-open at 10 a.m. on Thursday.