SPARKS, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- A Sparks man is behind bars Tuesday for murder and attempted murder after police say he shot two trespassers in February. Although the shooter admitted to the crime, it still took more than three months for Sparks Police to arrest him.
According to Sparks Police, 73-year-old Wayne Burgarello armed himself after being notified of trespassers on his vacant property. Burgarello found two people sleeping inside the residence and allegedly shot both of them, killing one and seriously injuring the other.
Police received a warrant for Burgarello's arrest on Tuesday, and arrested him at a traffic stop. They said the reason for the traffic stop was because they felt it was the safest option for everyone involved.
As for the investigation, Sparks Police Sargeant Aaron Leary said the investigation took months to complete, because there was so much evidence to comb through. "It’s taken awhile. The Sparks Police Department examined all the evidence in this case that had been sent to the lab and interviewed numerous witnesses, coming to the conclusion this morning to obtain the arrest warrant for Mr. Burgarello's arrest.”
The person Burgarello allegedly shot and did not kill is still recovering from her injuries. News 4 asked police if she would face any trespassing charges, but they said she will not.
Burgarello is currently being held on no bail at the Washoe County Jail. His arraignment has not been set yet.