UPDATE: Reno man dies from injuries sustained in Manhattan Street fire

Reported by: Van Tieu
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 3/28 9:40 pm
UPDATE (9:25PM)- One of the injured from the Manhattan St. fire on Thursday night has died.  Reno Police say 58 -year-old Ronald Craig Feemster was pronounced dead at 5:35 Friday evening.

Feemster had been transported to UC Davis Burn Center in Sacramento after suffering third-degree burns to 90 percent of his body.  A second male, 28-year-old Luke Mumui, also suffered third-degree burns to 90 percent of his body in the same fire and is still in critical care at the UC Davis Burn Center.

The third victim in the fire, 36-year-old Priscilla Endemann, is out of intensive care at Reno’s Renown Regional Medical Center.
RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- One minute, two men are working on their car; and the next, they sustain an explosion and life-threatening situation.

A destructive apartment fire was set ablaze on 930 Manhattan Street in Reno on Thursday, March 27 at 9:35 p.m. and proved to be a formidable foe, albeit short-lived. It only took the Reno Fire Department five minutes to reach the fire and 10 minutes to put it out, but -- because it was so quick moving and high in temperature -- the three people trapped inside could not get away in enough time to escape.

"We had a small explosion that resulted in a fire," said Reno Fire Department Chief Michael Hernandez. "The fire actually went from the outside of the garage into the main bedroom upstairs. It broke the window and set the contents of the bedroom on fire."

One woman was in that bedroom and suffered 2nd degree burns and smoke inhalation. The other two males injured in the fire were pulled from the garage and suffered 3rd degree burns over 90% of their bodies. The two men were repairing a car which was originally inisde the garage at the time. Although the fire department is still investigating, they believe that gasoline contributed to the inferno.

"There were some combustible liquids in there. There was a gas furnace and a water heater, so the necessary parts of the recipe were there," continued Hernandez.

Hernandez wants to use this tragedy as an opportunity to remind the public to keep combustible liquids like gasoline in approved and sealed containers.

A neighbor -- who did not want to be identified -- tells News 4 he saw the two males working on the car all day; and when he heard the first boom, there wasn't much time to react before the entire unit was up in flames.

This fire also hits close to home for the Reno Fire Department, as one of the victims has been identified as a family member of an active-duty firefighter.

This tragic incident also has a profound impact on neighboring units. Two adjacent apartments are partially burned or damaged and two adults and five children have been displaced in total.

To make a financial donation to your local Red Cross to help people affected by house fires and other disasters here in the United States and around the world, people can click, call or text - visit redcross.org/northernnevada, call 1-800-RED-CROSS, or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
Share
3 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

Cathy Walton - 3/31/2014 11:19 PM
0 Votes
I'am so sad to hear of this accident, my heart goes out to the Feemster family. I went to Jr. high,& high school with Ronald, he would always make you smile. He will be truly missed.....

mavs1too - 3/29/2014 6:43 PM
0 Votes
My thoughts and prayers go out for Ronald, his surviving friends and family. I went to Jr. High and High School with Ronald Feemster.

COMANCHE - 3/29/2014 6:34 AM
0 Votes
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Feemsters. So sorry for your loss.
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND

What's On

All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.