Victim Of Motel Fire Dies, Code Enforcement Called In

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 5/16/2013 5:44 pm
RENO, Nev. (KRNV & Reno Code Enforcement Team found no violations at a motel in West Reno, after a man died as a result of a fire there last Sunday.

Joseph Henry, the Senior Code Enforcement Officer for the City of Reno, says there are some minor housekeeping recommendations for the property. He says they did notice some extension-cord wiring for lights, that were recommended to be removed.

"We do run a clean property, there were some minor issues that will be taken care of immediately," says Ron Knipple, general manager of Old 40 West Motel.

The enforcement team was called in to examine the property after firefighters at the scene on Sunday noticed some potential red flags.

Henry says the motel was built in 1945, and at that time, smoke detectors weren't required. That has since changed, he says all of the rooms at the motel had working smoke detectors.

"There is no glaring life safety issues that we identified while we were here. We went through and we looked at all the rooms, we looked in the utility room, we looked at the maintenance of the property, and if you look at it, it's actually one of the nicer properties that we deal with," says Henry.

The victim of the fire died earlier this week.

The properties general manager spoke to News Four, he says he's not surprised by the results of the inspection, and says everything is up to standard.

"It was a sad, bad thing that happened here, but we do run a clean property," says Knipple.

Acting Fire Marshal, Dave Cochran, says the fire was caused by a cigarette the man left burning on the bed when he fell asleep.



0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!

What's On

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.