RENO, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com)--The Reno Code Enforcement Team found no violations at a motel in West Reno, after a man died as a result of a fire there last Sunday.
Joseph Henry, the Senior Code Enforcement Officer for the City of Reno, says there are some minor housekeeping recommendations for the property. He says they did notice some extension-cord wiring for lights, that were recommended to be removed.
"We do run a clean property, there were some minor issues that will be taken care of immediately," says Ron Knipple, general manager of Old 40 West Motel.
The enforcement team was called in to examine the property after firefighters at the scene on Sunday noticed some potential red flags.
Henry says the motel was built in 1945, and at that time, smoke detectors weren't required. That has since changed, he says all of the rooms at the motel had working smoke detectors.
"There is no glaring life safety issues that we identified while we were here. We went through and we looked at all the rooms, we looked in the utility room, we looked at the maintenance of the property, and if you look at it, it's actually one of the nicer properties that we deal with," says Henry.
The victim of the fire died earlier this week.
The properties general manager spoke to News Four, he says he's not surprised by the results of the inspection, and says everything is up to standard.
"It was a sad, bad thing that happened here, but we do run a clean property," says Knipple.
Acting Fire Marshal, Dave Cochran, says the fire was caused by a cigarette the man left burning on the bed when he fell asleep.