Which agencies will be affected if there's a government shutdown?

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 9/30/2013 4:47 pm
(KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- The government hasn't shut down in over 17 years, but if an agreement isn't made by midnight, here's a list of things that may or may not be affected.

The military would continue to operate, but there may be a delay in pay for those in uniform. Air traffic controllers, the Federal Reserve, the FBI and federal courts will operate normally for a time.

If the shutdown lasts longer than two weeks, the courts could run out of reserve funds. The postal service would not be affected. Most Homeland Security options will continue, but not the Food and Drug Administration. About 6,600 FDA employees could be furloughed. HUD would largely shut down, and the Department of Interior, which would affect national parks and national museums, would also close.

It doesn't stop there: the departments of labor, energy, commerce and the EPA are expected to close if the clock strikes midnight and there's still no deal.
Share
5 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

COMANCHE - 10/2/2013 5:46 AM
0 Votes
While it is true that the military is exempt, only about 10% of your Army & Air National Guard are full-time military. The other 90% (over 600 statewide)are military/civilian technicians and they have all been furloughed...over $200,000 in wages lost to the state's economy for each day of the lay-off.

Trzo9veuha - 10/1/2013 3:49 PM
0 Votes
Well, all the depts. listed as closing are the ones we can do without anyway. With the Obama shutdown, maybe this will reverse the Obama Depression. One can only hope

roseanya - 10/1/2013 8:53 AM
0 Votes
RECALL Reid. Impeach Obama crowd can carry two petitions.

cattmann - 9/30/2013 5:21 PM
0 Votes
I think we should call, mail,or email and have all Congress pay to only $30,000 a year and freeze all credit cards let them live like that and still make credit card payments only.

cattmann - 9/30/2013 5:17 PM
0 Votes
I saw we take all Congress and cut there pay to they only get $30,000 a year and freeze all credit cards they have and own. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND

What's On

All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.