Apartment fire displaces family in Reno

(Reno Fire Department)
(Reno Fire Department)
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 6/14/2013 6:13 pm
RENO, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- Reno Fire Department investigators say today’s structure fire in the 2000 block of Highview Court was started by unattended food being cooked.

The fire was reported at 3:25 p.m. this afternoon in a downstairs home in an eight-unit apartment complex. Fire investigators say the fire started in the kitchen where unattended food was left cooking and the occupant had left the apartment. The downstairs apartment received heavy fire and smoke damage and the unit located upstairs received moderate smoke damage.

The Reno Fire Department Chaplain and the American Red Cross are assisting with finding alternative living arrangements for the family (two adults and one child). Firefighters rescued the family’s pet rabbit from the fire and administered oxygen.

According to the U.S. Fire Administration cooking is the leading cause of residential building fires.

Share
1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

Kramer - 6/16/2013 4:31 PM
0 Votes
cooking food or food cooking 'left unattended'. R U Backwards Now? "unattended" refers to cooking, not the food itself. no running!
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND
WATCH OUR LIVE NEWSCAST

What's On

All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.