RENO, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- Reno Fire Department investigators say today’s structure fire in the 2000 block of Highview Court was started by unattended food being cooked.
The fire was reported at 3:25 p.m. this afternoon in a downstairs home in an eight-unit apartment complex. Fire investigators say the fire started in the kitchen where unattended food was left cooking and the occupant had left the apartment. The downstairs apartment received heavy fire and smoke damage and the unit located upstairs received moderate smoke damage.
The Reno Fire Department Chaplain and the American Red Cross are assisting with finding alternative living arrangements for the family (two adults and one child). Firefighters rescued the family’s pet rabbit from the fire and administered oxygen.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration cooking is the leading cause of residential building fires.