RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- A settlement between the Washoe County School Board of Trustees and Superintendent Pedro Martinez could come as soon as next week.
According to the district's outside Attorney Kent Robison, the Board of Trustees will vote to offer Superintendent Martinez a $25,000 settlement in his lawsuit against the district. Robison said this is an offer of judgment, meaning it gives Martinez incentive to settle his $1 million case.
The settlement will be voted on at next Tuesday's board meeting. If approved by the Board of Trustees, Martinez will have ten days to either accept or decline the offer.
Robison said because Martinez returned to work, his breach of contract claims are invalid. Therefore, if Martinez declines the $25,000 settlement, he could be liable for school board attorney fees, depending on the outcome of his lawsuit. That amount, Robison said, could reach $200,000.
At a board meeting last week, Martinez said he is open to moving beyond this situation. He wants an apology from the Board of Trustees regarding him being relieved of his duties on July 22.