SPARKS, NEV. (KRNV & Mynews4.com)--Local business owners and employees are picking up the pieces after a late night fire at a Sparks strip mall.
Among the units destroyed and damaged are a doctor's office and a dental office.
Sparks Fire Marshal Bob King says fire crews were able to get a quick handle on the fire thanks to the 911 call that was made by a driver on Pyramid Way. King says while the investigation is still ongoing, they believe the fire started in the attic and quickly spread. Right now, they haven't ruled out arson, but investigators do not think the fire was started intentionally.
We spoke with some local business owners in the strip mall who never thought this would happen so close to home.
"It's very traumatic, it's like seeing your home burn down, we've had such horrible things happen in Reno and Sparks that it's just horrible. I'm grateful we are fine, but it's very emotional," says Mary Day, the owner of Dr. Michael Day Family Dentistry.
The fire came dangerously close to Bonnie Myers's business. She owns Curves just one door down from the fire.
"Our club has a lot of ceiling tile damage and possible damage to electrical wiring. We probably won't be open for the rest of this week and I need my members to just give us a call, we are here, we are fine," says Myers.
James Kimbriel is also a business owner in the strip mall.
"It's a mess and it's going to affect everybody, there's no doubt about it," says Kimbriel.
Fire Marshal King says the fire was extremely dangerous for firefighters to fight. He says they were able to escape the building before the roof collapsed and no one was injured.
Pyramid Health Center will be contacting patients to reschedule appointments.