RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- A number of prominent community members had their voices heard on Tuesday at a meeting of the Washoe County School District Board of Trustees.
The board met for the first time since relieving Superintendent Pedro Martinez of his duties. Now, there is a possible effort underway to recall some of those board members.
Perry DiLoreto is a well-known Reno developer, who has volunteered much of his spare time to help preserve and make our schools the best they can be. Like many members of our community, he is extremely upset about what has transpired within our school district over the last week. Most importantly, the members of the Washoe County School District Board of Trustees' poor handling of the situation.
"There's supposed to be an adult way to do this," said DiLoreto. "I'm embarrassed for our board that we have to put our students through this, the students are going to lose, the staff is going to lose, the community in general is going to lose. We're on national news! We look like baffoons."
DiLoreto said he has met with many other concerned members of the community, who plan on organizing an effort to launch a recall petition against the six board members who were involved in the decision. DiLoreto told us that he hopes some members of the board will voluntarily resign, but if they do not, he will fight for what he thinks is right.
"We are looking at the recall potential. We are trying to get a critical path established, what time line is, what exactly the requirements are," said DiLoreto. "This is not something that is my original idea, these are suggestions that are coming from other people saying, 'We've had it, this is not necessary, this is a manufactured crisis that never needed to happen.'"
DiLoreto testified at Tuesday's meeting and said that both the students and the community are suffering in the wake of the Martinez situation, and that he and other members of the community will not rest until action is taken.