Sparks, NV (KRNV & MYNEWS4.COM)--Just after 1 P.M. Saturday afternoon, Sparks Firefighters responded to a structure fire on the 500 block of Spring Meadows Drive, the Marina Garden Apartments. According to Tom Garrison, Batallion Chief with Sparks Fire department, when crews arrived on scene they found found an eight unit apartment building with two of the second story units fully involved in fire. Crews were able to get the blaze under control within ten minutes of their arrival.
Thankfully, all of the apartment complex residents were able to evacuate the building. According to Garrison, in all, three units – two second story and one first floor unit, as well as the attic space above the second story units, sustained heavy fire and heat damage. One occupant, a male child, suffered smoke inhalation, but was treated and released on scene by REMSA personnel.
One firefighter was overcome by heat exhaustion, and was transported to a local hospital. Three pets, a dog and two cats, were later found in the burned apartments, and all had died from their injuries. Animal Control was requested to respond to the scene.
The American Red Cross Disaster Action Team responded the fire, by opening a shelter at Reed High School. Several families were affected by the home fire including 31 people, 12 are children. The Red Cross expects the shelter to remain open until Monday.