RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- The Washoe County School board is meeting today, but they won't be talking about the dismissal of former school superintendent Pedro Martinez.
The board has postponed a discussion of Martinez's dismissal after he filed a lawsuit alleging breach of contract and asked a judge to block the panel from discussing the matter in violation of open-meeting laws. The school district issued a statement last Tuesday announcing Martinez had been "relieved of his duties" effective immediately, then clarified a day later he had been placed on paid administrative leave.
Martinez claims he was fired after an illegal, private meeting of six of the seven board members who accused him of lying about his credentials. The Nevada Attorney General's Office confirmed it is investigating but has declined further comment.
Meanwhile, during a taping of Nevada Newsmakers, Washoe County District Attorney Dick Gammick weighed in on the controversial dismissal of Pedro Martinez. Gammick said it came as a shock, especially after Martinez got a positive review from the board back in June.
"Nothing came up that there were any problems. The only thing I'm aware of between then and now is the Mike Mieras firing -- and the school board already said that had nothing to do with their decision, so I think I'm along with a lot of people sitting here scratching our heads saying, 'Well then, what the hell happened,'" Gammick said.