RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- Police are still investigating a hash oil explosion that happened at a Reno home on Wednesday. They are also giving clues you can look for, in case your neighbor may be cooking the illegal substance.
Wednesday's explosion at a midtown home sent two people to the hospital. The Reno Police Department said both victims were severely burned and one of them is currently at Renown Regional Medical Center.
Officer Tim Broadway said the two men were improperly trying to make butane hash oil when the explosion happened. "Because of the process that it takes to extract the THC out of the marijuana plants, the chemicals that they use, they are highly volatile."
Broadway said it is the third hash oil explosion in Reno within the last few months, and fourth within the region. These explosions happen because people think extracting the drug is easy to do. "Instead of using the proper filtration, the proper equipment, they're not ventilating the house, and they're blowing themselves up."
Police are looking for residents' help in locating potential operations. "Just be on the lookout for any excessive amount of butane bottles, any strange smelling pasty looking substances that are in garbage cans," said Broadway. "Stay away and call the Reno Police Department."
"The Reno Police Department has not released the names of those involved in Wednesday's explosion, and it is still unclear at this time if the suspects will face charges.