SPANISH SPRINGS, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- Three homes were evacuated after a car ran over a gas meter, causing it to break and leak natural gas.
According to Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District Chief Charles Moore, a truck that had struck a residential gas meter in the 1400-block of Kinglet Drive on Saturday at approximately 4:45 p.m. The gas main breaking caused a free flow of natural gas into the area, creating a potential hazard.
Crews from Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District and NV Energy, responded to the scene and immediately ordered the evacuation of the residence where the gas was leaking, as well as the two homes on each side of the residence. The gas continued to leak for about an hour while NV Energy crews worked to put in an emergency plug and stop the leak. Once the leak was stopped, crews ventilated the home, and lifted the evacuation orders.