SPARKS, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- The Sparks Fire Department has said that a structure fire may have been ignited by illegal fireworks.
According to a press release, firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire in the 400-block of Ninth Street at around 8 p.m. on Sunday. Upon arriving on scene, they found a single-family residential structure with flames showing from a burning juniper tree and extending onto the exterior wall. They quickly extinguished the fire before it extended into the house.
Sparks Police interviewed a witness who stated they saw two people lighting fireworks in the alley behind the house and ran into nearby apartments. A fire investigator was called to the scene, and the investigation revealed remnants of fireworks in the juniper bush. The suspects could not be found.
Sparks Fire said that any type of fireworks that explode or fly in the air are illegal to have and ignite in Washoe County. Sparks Fire will issue citations to anyone caught lighting fireworks in the city of Sparks.
The Sparks Fire Department urges citizens to use extreme caution this year and help the local Fire Departments in spreading the word about fire-safe practices.