RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- The investigation continues into an explosion at The Park at Idlewild apartment complex on Sunday. It has left dozens of people without a home.
Reno firefighters believe the cause of the explosion was natural gas, possibly coming out a furnace. It damaged the entire "C" block of the building. Three people were in the apartment at the time of the explosion, but they escaped without injuries. Local volunteers are helping the eight families displaced by the blast.
While the exact cause hasn't been determined, Reno Fire Marshal Jeff Donahue has some great reminders when it comes to servicing your furnace, and staying on top of winter safety:
- Avoid using extension cord for heaters.
- Never leave a space heater unattended, or running while you sleep.
- If you are using candles, make sure they are at least a foot away from other items, and blow them out when you leave the room.
- Unattended cooking is the one of the leading causes of house fires, so never leave your stove on when you are not home.