Local school helping parents get driver authorization cards

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 2/13/2014 6:17 pm
RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- A local school is stepping up to help students' parents get their driver authorization cards. News 4's Ashley Cullins shows us why their services could help people save money and avoid getting scammed.

Just like with a standard driver's license, getting a driver authorization card is a multi-step process and one of the most challenging steps seems to be getting the required documents translated into English.

"We want to make sure that people shop around for translators," said Nevada DMV services manager Jude Hurin. "We don't want people to be taken advantage of."

Hurin said they have more than 550 people authorized to translate DMV documents in Nevada. Unfortunately he said they've been hearing people have been taking advantage of drivers by charging high fees for the service.

"At this point in time there's nothing in the law that regulates those individuals that translate," Hurin said.

That is why principal of Mariposa Academy in Reno Neil Schott said one of his administrative assistants got authorized.

"We're trying to remove obstacles for our parents," Schott said. "For example we will help translate their birth certificates, their marriage certificates, help them with a translated copy of the book that they need to study for their driver's license."

They ask for a five dollar translation fee from Mariposa parents, and ten dollars if it's an adult who doesn't have a child at the school.

Schott said the money will pay for things like school supplies, training and a Christmas gift for each student.

"We can help them and support them and that translates into them being able to better help their own children and that's what schools are for," Schott said.

They will translate more than just DMV applications.

"Our families will come in with rental agreements, employment applications, things from welfare, the Nevada Health Exchange," he said.

That is helpful since Hurin said the translation rules apply to everything the DMV does, not just driver authorization cards.

"We wanted to make that straight across the board for all applicants," Hurin said.

For more information on getting a driver authorization card or finding a translator, click here.
1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

littlefox - 2/14/2014 6:44 AM
1 Vote
Simple: Learn to speak and read English.

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.