Pedro Martinez welcomes students back to schools

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 8/11 3:31 pm
RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- The school year is officially underway in Washoe County, and some students were welcomed back by Pedro Martinez.

Martinez is visiting over a half dozen schools Monday to talk with students, faculty and staff about the school year going forward. Tuesday, the School Board of Trustees will meet to discuss Pedro Martinez's lawsuit against the board.

An agenda item for "consideration of contract for retention of outside legal counsel," is on the agenda and refers to the services of outside attorney Kent Robison -- who represents the School District against the Superintendent's lawsuit.

Martinez says his top priority for now is the start of the school year.

"I'm glad that I'm back, I'm hoping that me coming back just shows good faith, effort that I'm going to do my part to reconcile," Martinez said. "I think we have to focus on what matters, which is our children and our schools. We have a lot of challenges in our state, but we also have amazing opportunities. Like I said, last year we had a record number of children graduating, and a record number of children going into high tier-1 universities."

Martinez says he is also focused on his goal of a county-wide 80 percent graduation rate by 2016.

Share
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND

What's On

All content © Copyright 2014 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.