RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- Friday was the eighth anniversary of the shooting at Pine Middle School. In 2006, one student brought a gun to school and injured two others.
Now, the same school has added new rules after a threat of violence in graffiti on a bathroom wall last week. Pine Middle School does not normally have an officer at their school, but security was increased after a student threat was investigated.
Washoe County School District Police said they officially notified parents on Thursday to clarify any rumors. "It did occur last week, but again, communications, the school, and us, we don't want to put any messages out there until we've had a chance really to investigate it, and find out is there any validity to what was being said," said Chief Mike Mieras.
Everything was quiet at Pine Middle School on Friday, but students are being required to leave backpacks in their lockers and sign in and out of all classes. News 4 spoke with parents who said they thought the school did a good job telling them about the incident, even though they were officially notified the week after. Many said they still feel comfortable sending their students to school.
"I trust the school," said parent Heather Reimer. "I honestly would take their reaction to what's going on and my daughter's, as well; you know I take her consideration. She told me before I knew from the school what was going on, and she's like I'm not really sure what the big deal is."
School police are continuing to investigate the incident, and once suspects are identified, they could face criminal charges.