RENO, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- As with any holiday that involves heavy drinking, police want to make sure underage drinkers are not getting served.
The Reno Police Department had two underage volunteers attempt to buy alcohol at 19 different businesses, some chosen because of public complaints. Thirteen passed by refusing to serve minors, and six failed the test. That's a compliance rate of only 68% this St. Patrick’s Day.
"We saw a combination of mistakes. We saw some where they did not ask our volunteers for ID," said Sergeant Ron Chalmers. He also said another common mistake is due to math. "The bartender looks [or] the doorman looks at the ID, and miscalculates the age."
The business does not get fined by Reno police, but rather, the employee who made the mistake. "The first offense is $250. The second offense, within a year is $500, and the 3rd year could result in a temporary suspension."
The compliance check is meant to educate businesses. "It’s our goal to combat underage drinking more than it is to fine the businesses," said Chalmers.
That is why the police encourages businesses to educate their employees, and improve their ID checking systems.
"We’ll ask them about purchasing ID scanners, and if they do that, we'll work with the city to get those fines taken care of."
Chalmers said the alcohol compliance fines and cost of an ID scanner can be paid for, if businesses participate in the police's joint program with Join Together Northern Nevada to prevent underage alcohol sales and better ID checking systems.
The businesses that passed the compliance check were as follows:
- The Wolf Den located at 1305 N. Virginia St.
- Ceol Irish Pub located at 538 S. Virginia St.
- Filthy McNasty’s located at 1718 Holcomb Blvd
- Kahn & Sons located at 2005 Sierra Highlands Dr.
- Royal Market located at 6380 Mae Anne
- Friend’s Market located at 670 W. 4th St.
- Quick Mart located at 501 W. 4th St.
- Easy Mart located at 500 W. 2nd St.
- Ryan’s Saloon located at 924 S. Wells Ave.
- Wonder Bar located at 1195 S. Wells Ave.
- S.S. Smoke & Liquor located at 1475 S. Wells Ave.
- Corrigans located at 1526 S. Wells Ave.
- Rapscallion located at 1555 S. Wells Ave.
The businesses that failed the compliance check were as follows:
- Valley Market located at 505 Denslowe Dr. – Sales of alcohol to minor
- Jackson’s located at 910 Robb Dr. - Sales of alcohol to minor
- El Tavern located at 1801 W. 4th St. - Sales of alcohol to minor
- Pine Food & Spirits located at 190 S. Center St. - Sales of alcohol to minor
- Shea’s Tavern located at 715 S. Virginia St. – Sales of alcohol to minor and Allowing minor into saloon
- Lucky’s Saloon located at 1455 S. Wells Ave. – Sales of alcohol to minor and Allowing minor into saloon