RENO, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- As we reported last week, a Washoe County judge has ruled against Renown in the latest battle between the hospital and a group of cardiologists, and now Renown is releasing a statement.
A judge on Thursday ruled Renown is not abiding by the terms of a court settlement reached earlier this year. Under the terms of that settlement, Renown was required to provide those cardiologists with information about their former patients. In a statement released just today, Renown says:
We have not seen the final ruling in writing but we can say that we take very seriously our responsibility to protect patient information. We oppose providing patient information to any outside party without the patient’s express written authorization.
We support the patient’s right to choose where their information goes, and to date nearly 3000 have asked for a medical records transfer to their physician’s new office. Those requests have all been fulfilled and records have been sent.
We are disappointed with the ruling but have not decided on our next steps.
Renown says they won't share that information without the patient's express written authorization. Renown paid the cardiologists $4 million after the doctors sued claiming Renown had committed breach of contract. The hospital says it's not sure if it will appeal.