Residents still without power 10 days after DUI crash

Reported by: Ashley Cullins
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 9/18/2013 12:03 am
SPARKS, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- Residents are living in the dark after 22-year-old Michael Rigor-Fuentez crashed into the Green Leaf at the Marina apartments. He was arrested for DUI, driving without a license and outstanding traffic warrants, Sparks Police officials said. 

But, even worse than his driving record, is the scene Rigor-Fuentez left residents like Brian Ward to deal with.

Ward came to News 4 after the problem continued for more than a week. We took it to the City of Sparks and they sent out a building inspector the same day.

"He deemed that it was something that was temporarily not inhabitable," said city spokesman Adam Mayberry.

Mayberry said rentals need water, sewer, power and heat to be livable.

"We've been waiting since last Sunday just running one power cord that they allowed us to use for another apartment to run our freezer," Ward said.

"It is the responsibility of the landlord or the property owner to find some other accommodations for the occupants," Mayberry said.

Mayberry said the property manager told the city they did relocate tenants, but Ward says it isn't true.

"I'm still here," he said. "My son still lives there. My neighbor still lives there."

The city is monitoring the situation.

"We understand that not all contractors are available, that there are insurance issues, but certainly the safety and health of the residents of the City of Sparks is the number one priority," Mayberry said.

The property manager of Green Leaf at the Marina was not available for comment. The maintenance manager tells News 4 they expect to start repair work Wednesday.

As for Rigor-Fuentez, during the crash he lost his wallet at the scene and, according to office staff, he drove back to the property this week to reclaim it.
Share
1 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

Areisenbeiss - 9/18/2013 2:23 AM
1 Vote
The management there doesn't care about their residents. I feel bad for this family because I know first hand how they treat people. We lived on the top floor of and had a water leak from the rain which made the whole ceiling sag in one room and soaked the place. We couldn't live there for a month because the smell of mold was so bad. They were in no hurry to fix the place, expected us to pay a full months rent for the month we weren't there and never made or helped with accommodations for us to stay somewhere else. After they fixed the ceiling I still had to demand they did something for the smell. Who knows how long this poor family will have to live this way.
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND

What's On

All content © Copyright 2013 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.