SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. (AP) — Officials at a South Lake Tahoe resort say they fired three employees who improperly drained about 15,000 to 20,000 gallons of chlorinated pool water into a stormwater basin.
City officials tell the Tahoe Daily Tribune that the incident involving Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort happened June 25 and was reported by the hotel a few days later.
Jason Burke of the city's stormwater program says the discharges are not allowed because the chlorine is toxic to aquatic plants. But he says there was no evidence the dump killed off plants when he checked the basin a few days after the pool was drained.
Alan Miller of the California Regional Water Quality Control Board says it's unlikely the resort will face fines because it's taken internal steps to prevent similar incidents.
©2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.