MINDEN, Nev. (MyNews4.com & KRNV) -- Two days after Minden was hit by another series of flash floods, residents are left cleaning up their own neighborhoods.
Susan Bernard and her husband spent $1,200 cleaning their yard after last month’s flash flood, and are now back where they started.
Bernard said her yard is no different than the street in front of it. "Across the street there’s a storm drain, hasn’t even been cleaned. Up the street from me on Stephanie (Way) by the fire house, big storm drain has not been touched."
After two storms in three weeks, some residents are cleaning out storm drains in front of their homes and one resident sais a Douglas County official told him it could be months before they can help.
Douglas County Commissioners have declared a state of emergency and emergency management assessors were looking at the flood damage Wednesday. "Showing the state the areas that were the hardest hit that took the most damage so the state can make calculations on the amount of flood damage that occurred here," said County Engineer Erik Nilssen.
If damages reach a certain cost, the state could reimburse the county.
East Fork Fire Deputy Chief David Fogerson said the area needs it. "We do need the extra help here. Our road crews, especially at the Johnson Lane event, two weeks ago they fixed all the issues and the second flood took out all their work."
Nilssen hopes the state assessment will be done in one week.