NORTH VALLEYS, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com) --Crews from the Truckee Meadows fire department responded to reports of a structure fire on Golden Valley road just after 4:30 on Saturday afternoon. According to Tim Leighton with TMFPD, the fire started when persons inside the home did not properly dispose of ashes. The fire began near the exterior of the home and quickly spread to the garage and a fence attached to the home. First responders were able to knock down the blaze quickly. Thankfully, no one was inside the home and the damage to the property was minimal.
Leighton would like to remind residents that these types of fires are preventable, and that ash cans are available for Washoe County residents.To obtain a free ash can, residents of Washoe County may fill out the application listed on the TMFPD website, and if the required criteria are met, an ash can will be provided. Inside each ash can, residents will find a flyer that will provide the information needed to safely and properly dispose of fireplace ashes. Residents may also purchase an ash can directly from Carter Bros. Hardware or other hardware stores.