Veterans denied access to new recovery facility

Reported by: Madison Corney
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Share
Updated: 6/14/2013 11:42 pm
Reno, NV (KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- The Bristlecone Family Resource Center is unable to allow local veterans to move into the new facility due to a lack of safety inspections.

The non profit agency provides Northern Nevadans with addiction recovery programs. On June 5, 2013 they relocated to a new facility at 704 Mill Street. Today, June, 14, 2013 when it was time for the residents to move into the new building, veterans in the program were denied access. Meanwhile, civilians in the recovery program were allowed to move in.

One local veteran, John Bodin says, "Today my life is a little bit in limbo."

Bodin who just started the recovery program three weeks ago says he is very upset that he can't move into the new Bristlecone facility because of a safety inspection issue that only affects veterans in the program, not civilians.

According to Darin Farr with the VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System, initial safety inspections at the new Bristlecone facility were not up to code, per the VA's standards. For example, exit signs were not properly posted and the emergency system in the elevator was not working. 

Farr says a second inspection was scheduled today at the new facility, but for unknown reasons it was canceled by Bristlecone employees, leaving four veterans to find other places to stay. Farr says two veterans are staying with family in the area and a third veteran joined them, the fourth is staying at the shelter.

Bodin says this incident makes him feel like he's not getting the care he was promised, "I know that last year President Obama had a speech at the VFW and he said that if you are a vet and you need help, we will give it to you."

It's unclear at this point when the veterans will be able to start their treatment programs, but Farr says it's out the VA's hands, "It's entirely between the inspector and the facility to come to an agreement on this."

Share
2 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

Tammra - 6/16/2013 9:23 AM
0 Votes
Some inaccurate information was included in a news story Friday night regarding safety of our new building and Bristlecone turning away Veterans. Bristlecone has never turned away any Veteran. Our new facility was designed with state of the art safety equipment and has passed all inspections by local, county and state agencies. Unfortunately, an inspector for the VA requested some special additions be made within the facility and would not allow us to include our Veterans in the move until these items are complete. Although we have not yet received a formal request for changes from the VA, Bristlecone is proceeding with the verbal change orders in an effort in expedite the return of the displaced Veterans. We anticipate these items will be finalized Monday. We treasure our Veterans as we do all of our clients and employees. It is unfortunate that the VA could not provide Bristlecone with a reasonable period of time to complete these modifications before relocating our Veterans and interrupting their treatment services. We would like to thank all our partners for their heroic efforts in resolving these special requests so quickly.

Mistrbill - 6/16/2013 8:14 AM
0 Votes
ANOTHER example of how "O" works and lies to get his own way without having to face the truth!
NEWSCASTS ON DEMAND

What's On

All content © Copyright 2013 Intermountain West Communications Company. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.