Washoe County Commission delays decision on Aces funding

Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Updated: 12/12/2012 11:09 am
RENO, Nev. (KRNV & MyNews4.com) -- The Washoe County Commissioners balked at making a decision about giving $15 million to the Aces over the next 30 years with a 4-1 vote to continue the issue.

It seems that may continue to happen until the Reno City Council decides on its own $30 million deal.

"Reno we hope you can pull this off,"  Commissioner Bonnie Weber said. Weber put it bluntly: the City of Reno needs to commit to the Aces refinancing deal first.

The good news is Reno City Councilwoman Neoma Jardon says the county's decision - or non-decison - probably won't affect the city's.

"We do have interest in what their vote is and what their opinions are on it, but as a city we have to do what we believe is in the best interest of our city residents as well and we'll do that," Jardon said.

Reno City Manager Andrew Clinger says it's not just a one-time decision to keep the Aces here - it's an annual one.

"Every year as it comes up in the budget, they'll have to make that decision whether or not to allocate funds to keep the baseball team here," Clinger said.

And it's one the county is choosing not to make yet.

Both Commissioner John Breternitz and Chairman Bob Larkin ended their terms at this meeting. Neither of them supports the agreement as it currently stands.

"The agreements that stand before me suck," Larkin said.

"We need to let the city know where we stand on this matter so that they can move ahead," Breternitz said.

Breternitz says the county just doesn't have the money and there's no point in waiting to tell the city and the Aces they can't help.

But the commission voted to continue the issue to another meeting - one the commissioners hope will happen after the city of reno comes to a resolution.

"I think we need to wait," Weber said.

"We are far too ahead of this game," Commissioner Kitty Jung said. "We need to wait for Reno City Council."

"Perhaps it's a chicken and egg deal where Reno is looking for County support and we're looking to see what Reno is going to do," Larkin said.

The Pacific Coast baseball league and the Aces owners are also looking to see what the City of Reno is going to do. Representatives from both have warned they may have to leave town if the deals don't go through.

The deal is on the Reno City Council agenda again Wednesday, but Jardon says it's primarily to discuss suggestions from the public, not to vote.
0 Comment(s)
Comments: Show | Hide

Here are the most recent story comments.View All

No comments yet!

Featured Segments/Shows

All content © Copyright 2015 Intermountain West Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
You may also view our Sitemap

Inergize Digital This site is hosted and managed by Inergize Digital.
Mobile advertising for this site is available on Local Ad Buy.